Flickr

homer4k. Get yours at 

flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Don't Talk To Me!!

When I go walking at the track, whether on my lunch break or after work or on the weekend (like today), I prefer to walk alone. Other people like a walking buddy to talk to, but I would MUCH rather listen to music or just think me thinks. I can focus on keeping my speed on track (aiming at 4 mph) without worrying about conversation, blah blah blah. Today my normal routine was ruined, however. I went to the track after eating Easter dinner - had quite a bit, which is why I decided to walk in the first place. We fixed glazed ham, asparagus spears sauteed in italian dressing, squash sauteed like the asparagus with garlic rice wine vinegar (mmm), barbecued shrimp (mmm), rolls, and Mom's special slivered sweet potatoes baked with italian dressing and parmesan cheese. And for dessert, Mom made peach fluff without the cottage cheese, so Dad would like it. Anyway, I needed to walk because there was so much good food.
I pull up to the track, and this 10 year old (or so) kid is nearby playing with a German Shepherd mix. He asked me if the dog was mine (which it wasn't.) As I continue to start walking, he follows me (the kid, not the dog) and tells me how he found the dog while riding his bike. And the kid follows me around for 3 miles (that's 6 laps, about 1.5 hours) telling me his life story. There were several other peeps at the track, but apparently I was the only one he wanted to talk to. Geez, I try to be friendly but I really don't care - I kept walking faster, thinking maybe he'd leave, but he just kept up with me. Then he told me he'd been baptized this morning at the Cowboy church in Novice - in a horse trough! So we talked a little religion, Jesus and stuff. Still he wouldn't leave. So I tell him I'm done walking, and return to the car (with kid following) - and he looked almost sad as I leave. I felt kinda bad, but also cold - the temp was only 45 degrees (in April!!). Maybe I should be more compassionate and not so self absorbed about my walking -or wear a sign that says "Walking: Do Not Talk To Me".

1 comment:

Robin said...

They baptize people in a horse trough? Interesting.

Ah...he was probably just a lonely kid.