Flickr

homer4k. Get yours at 

flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Pilgrimage

Some of you may know of my fascination with Johnny Cash - a somewhat recent thing, of course. I never listened to him much growing up, other than when Dad would hum Ghost Riders In The Sky to wake me up in the mornings (I was very young, ha ha). About two years ago, I saw the video to Johnny Cash's song, Hurt (originally by Trent Reznor (spelling?) of Nine Inch Nails). I have never watched a music video that had emotional impact - I was floored by Cash's video (and had to immediately download the song of course). The scenes of an old man looking back on his life of excess, and realizing that it was all for nought. (You could almost hear in the background something from Solomon - meaningless, meaningless, all is meaningless). Anyway, it completely shattered my preconceived notions about Johnny Cash being a old country singer. And I began to listen to some of his other songs as well.
When the movie Walk The Line came out, it grabbed my fascination as well - a good story, well worth a viewing (or multiple viewings, in my case). And last year, when I went to Arizona, guess what we listened to all the way there? Why, nothing but Johnny Cash (and the Walk the Line soundtracks as well). Good times!
Anyway, yesterday Colby had an idea that has captured my fancy - a weekend trip to Henderson, TN, to see the grave of Johnny Cash and June Carter. Almost like a pilgrimage, but more fun. And of course, we can listen to all the Johnny Cash music we want.


And by the way: if you are tired and sleepy when you wake up in the morning, take a hint from Dad and sit on the edge of the bed, feet hanging down, and hum the theme from Ghost Riders In The Sky - it really does help you wake up!

3 comments:

Dee Martin said...

You're not going to prison are you????

Robin said...

I really like Johnny Cash, too, and I want to get that movie so Jason can see it.

If you're going all the way to TN, you might as well extend it and come to Virginia, right? It's only an extra 800 miles. That's nothing!

Robin said...

Dad mentioned that "Ghost Riders in the Sky" thing last night on the phone. I don't ever remember him saying that to us.