Flickr

homer4k. Get yours at 

flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Recap

'Twas the evening after Thanksgiving, when all through the house, there was way too much food, ...... hmm, I guess I should stick to photography and leave the poetry to my sister, ha ha. Here's a challenge, Robin: Make a poem for the evening after Thanksgiving, when you are still stuffed and barely able to move, and the thought of all the turkey and related foods in the fridge almost sickens you (and yet I am compelled by some sinister calorie-infused force to go and sample Dee's pumpkin pie cake - even now it's sitting on the bar, taunting me, daring me to have "just a taste".)
Hmm, I got off topic there. Thanksgiving went very deliciously today. Mom and Dad brought the dressing, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, a uber-delicious lowcal pumpkin pie, and green bean casserole. The Martins came, bearing turkey, pumpkin pie cake (also good - and yes, I can hear its sweet siren song even now), mashed potatoes and more deviled eggs. My grandmother made a lowcal cherry dessert which was quite good as well, a ham, and rolls. I made sweet potatoes, a pork roast with a cran-apricot glaze (I reduced some cranberry juice for almost an hour, then added some apricot preserves - it was dang good), and the piece de resistance: my signature Smoked Cheddar Baked Macaroni and Cheese. Mmmmmm.
Kinsey almost ate all of the pork roast while we were still cooking. And they all said we would have too much meat! What do Mom and Dee know about cooking Thanksgiving? Ha, at one point, all the hens left the kitchen and I was alone (well, Jessica and Kinsey were there for a bit, but I was Head Chef In Charge by default), and we had reached a critical mass as far as things needing to be cooked versus available oven space. Thanks to my brilliantly contrived on-the-spot resource management techniques (in other words, I got Jess to ask the hens what to do, lol), Thanksgiving was rescued from an almost certain dismal dud of a disaster (ahh, alliteration) to the fantastic flourish of flavors that would have made Paula Deen proud.
Now I sit here, stuffed to the gills (with Dee's cake singing softly in my ear) watching the TVLand I Love Lucy marathon. I hope I haven't missed the Vitameatavegimin episode.

1 comment:

Dee Martin said...

I skipped supper and went directly to desert - pumpkin pie cake, mmmmmm
It was wonderful as usual and as soon as we get home from transplant land we shall begin to plan the first annual, post Thanksgiving, post Christmas, post transplant, we survived the holidays dinner! Maybe the end of January, beginning of February?