Flickr

homer4k. Get yours at 

flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Day 2

Got off to an early start today - I left Tucumcari around 8:30, headed west. I stopped at Cline's Corners (a gift shop on I-40 at US 285) because someone told me it was a cool place. Pointless crap and junk - sorry Tina, no shot glasses for you, ha ha. Here's a thumbnail:Clines Corners
Click to view the large image - check out how high gas was (so far, that was the highest I've seen it - Paris peeps should be glad it's as "low"as it is back there).
From there I drove north - up 285, headed for Farmington (with scenic places to stop at on the way). Driving through Santa Fe was a biatch - construction, small lane roads (but not as small or as crowded as Taos) and confusing signs, all of which led me to miss my exit at one point. Which isn't unusual in itself, since I can't navigate worth a durn, but the worst part was I couldn't just get off at the next exit and turn around - oh no, you had to get off, travel down some highway, then detour (CONSTRUCTION!!!), get lost, and try to find out how the heck to get back to where you were before you were trying to get back to where you were.
So then I battled my way through Taos - tiny, tiny lanes, too much traffic, and lots of pedestrians who don't seem to realize they would lose very badly if they went up against a moving vehicle.
Moving on: driving along US 84, or US 64 or something, I saw this river and scenic views, so I pulled over to snap a few pics.
Somewhere in New Mexico Somewhere in New Mexico Somewhere in New Mexico

One of the rafters seemed to notice I was taking pics. They waved right after I took this.

A little while after the river, I found the Rio Grande Gorge - pretty cool, and the pics don't do it justice, but here's a few:

Rio Grande Gorge Straight Down

And finally, a panoramic view (click on it to see it large - looks much more cool that way) of some mountains.
panoramic


Then I drove on to Farmington - through windy roads, construction (they had US 64 torn up at one point for a few miles - it was just a dirt road. Imagine 271 as a dirt road, and you'll get the idea) - but I finally made it here. Tomorrow, my first destination is Ship Rock, then either Window Rock or the Four Corners, then off to Page, Arizona to see Horseshoe Bend - pics to follow!

live from Farmington, NM
-B.J.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

blogger must be having issues - I had trouble commenting again!

I love the pics - especially the panorama and one of the Gorge pics is my wallpaper as I write this!

271 as a dirt road??? I shudder!

According to something I read Farmington is big growing apples.

I just realized that Page Az is at the bottom of Lake Powell. We always wanted to rent a pontoon boat and go through there. If there is a boat tour that you could go on the pics of the lake are beautiful - the whole thing is a canyon that they flooded.