Flickr

homer4k. Get yours at 

flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Name A Country That Starts With "U"

I came across this video whilst surfing the web. Please watch before reading the rest of this post - it's rather long, but worth it. I laughed at first - making fun of our American tendencies toward self-centeredness as a nation - our collective attitude that we're #1, and the rest of the world is rather unimportant. Yeah, I'm generalizing, but you know what I mean.
As I kept watching the clip, my laughter turned to a sick, sick feeling. At first, I thought this was like an SNL sketch, but I came to realize it was more of a Candid Camera, featuring actual Americans answering the simplest of questions about world events with the dumbest of answers. It is funny, in a horrible, demeaning way - how did we get to this point?

Reporter: Name a country that starts with a 'U'.
American: Uhhhh....
Reporter: How about the United States of America?
American: Yeah!

The worst part was the last part of the clip - an entire segment of Texans being interviewed. Oooh, that was fun.

I realize that this video does not feature a representative sample of Americans - they just took the stupid ones and edited the smarter people out. Still - these were SIMPLE QUESTIONS!!!

Reporter: Who is Tony Blair?
American: A skater?

Reporter: Who is Fidel Castro?
Stupid American: A singer??

Reporter: What religion is Israel?
Stupid American: Uhh, Israeli?

And so on, ad infinitum (or nauseum) For the sake of Pete, Ol' Roy has more sense than these American Idiots (also a Greenday album) - at least Roy knows the difference (kinda) between Sunni and Shiite Muslims. Surely we aren't a country full of idiots! Well, I know there are alot of them out when I am driving, but that's a different story...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uganda, Uzbekistan, uh....Utopia? oops no that won't exist til I take over the world Ha
Go Roy!