Flickr

homer4k. Get yours at 

flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Mmmm, Lasagna

I have been on a low-carb diet for the past month or so, and along with a daily dose of walking (at least 30 mins a day) the pounds are coming off. However, one of the pitfalls of the low carb diet is that pasta is anathema to it - a huge no-no. And I love italian food, hence my problem.
So I applied a little culinary creativity and designed a new recipe tonight - Cabbage Lasagna! (Don't say 'eww' just yet). Basically, I just replaced the lasagna noodles with cabbage leaves - it gives the lasagna its layered structure, yet without any of the high carb levels of pasta. Makes it healthier, too!! I reduced the amount of liquid I put in to compensate for the fact that the noodles wouldn't be there to soak it up. Other than that, I just made normal lasagna (sausage, spinach, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, shrooms, and about 3 tablespoons of minced garlic - man, I love garlic!!). The only thing I would change would be to cut up the cabbage leaves further - or just buy a bag of shredded cabbage. I tore rather large portions of cabbage leaves - I thought they would be more tender and easily cut up after cooking. Anyway, it was delicious, and I allowed myself to indulge my italian tooth (instead of sweet tooth) a tad tonight as a reward for doing so well this past month. And I am quite full, too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you parboil the cabbage? Great idea, but if you put the whole cabbage in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes the leaves will peel off easier (just like making cabbage rolls) and might get more tender. Sounds great though! You could also try eggplant - Italian Moussaka!