Flickr

homer4k. Get yours at 

flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Sunday, October 22, 2006

I am a PRO!!!!!

Finally, after so many long months of waiting, I have my first photo shoot - as a PAID PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER!!

(I'll wait a few seconds for those of you who are spewing Coke out your nose and laughing to calm down and clean yourself up. Go ahead, I'll wait.....)

Better? Okay, here's the scoop. My friend Darwin thinks I am a really good photographer (yeah, pulled a fast one on him). He was really impressed with my camera, probably more impressed than he is with my photography skills, but hey, I'll take what I can get. Anyhoo, he wants me to come to his church next Sunday and take pics of the choir, congregation (not during church, that would be inappropriate - see how awesome my photo taking skills are?), some group shots, and individual pics, then print them out and sell them to the church members as a fund raiser to buy some new sound equipment. I told him I would do it for cost of materials, so I'm not making money on this, but still, I'm getting PAID FOR TAKING PICS!!
This shoot will present some challenges for me - well, not challenges, but some different situations I've never photographed before. I have lots of pics of white people, and I have lots of experience touching up pics of them on the computer. Usually my only problem is having to correct for blownout highlights on the skin. Black people (Darwin goes to a predominately black church - around here, Sunday is the most segregated day of all, it seems) present a different situation - underexposure will be a problem, so I'll have to correct for that without letting the flash blow out everything else. Cool - shooting in new conditions can only enhance my skills as a PAID PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER!!

7 comments:

Robin said...

Congratulations!

Do you like using Flickr? I'm trying to figure out what I want to use to post my pictures. We were thinking about photo.net, but it costs $25/year (which is not THAT bad). Their website seems slow at times, but you can get good feedback from people.

I thought I might go with Flickr though...haven't decided yet.

We went to the Shenandoah National Park on Saturday to try out the new camera, and we got some cool pictures. I'll post them when I figure out what to use

homer4k said...

I used Photo.net for a time, but Flickr is far superior, IMHO. The uploading and organizing tools are MUCH better, far far far better. I really like the interactivity though - you can post pics to different groups. Each group has its own theme, some are about subjects like sunsets or kids, some groups emphasize scoring photos based on things like composition, subject etc - and my personal favorite are the evaluation groups where peeps who know what they are doing photographically will comment and give you valuable feedback on what you did right, what wasn't so right, and what was totally stupid. I have learned a great deal from such feedback. BTW, Flickr is free unless you want to share more than 200 photos, then it's $24 for a Pro account (which I have).
Another good feature is you can designate pictures as public, friends, or family, and that way you can control who sees what. I never bother with that because I want as many peeps to see my pics as possible.
I can't wait to see your pics from Shenandoah!

Anonymous said...

Kewl! Your first actual solicited paid job (even if it is just for materials!) You should also send some to weather@kxii.com .Sometimes they put weather shots on tv. Congrats - it will be great experience!

Robin said...

So how did this go? I keep forgetting to ask you about it.

homer4k said...

It went pretty well - its far easier to photograph a still-life scene than it is to arrange people 'just so' then take pictures. But I have discovered that I really like candid people photos - you can look at my Pumpkin Festival set on Flickr for some examples. It was weird walking around and taking pics of peeps I didn't know - mostly they either didn'tnotice or would smile after they saw me take the picture. One little girl with a bubble blower practically performed for me - got some great pics of her. Anyway, I read how you wanted to get into street photography - it's fun but a tad bit strage at first, until you get comfortable with the idea of taking pics of random people.

Robin said...

That's the part that I find weird..trying to take a good picture of someone without them knowing you are doing it.

I think it would be creepy if I saw someone do that to me. I need to learn how to be sneaky.

homer4k said...

The secret is called a very good telephoto lens, ha ha. I wish I had one, but they can be expensive....